Manager: songchicky1997

Moderators: Global Moderators, Admin Assistant

Re: foocw - Reviewer Profile [NOT Accepting]

Postby foocw » Sun, March 31st 2013, 1:13 pm

AClovetosing wrote::BT: I see accepting... HOHOHO
Can you review this cover please?

MP3 Link: https://www.box.com/s/ukf0nmtbpop45o7xj2mf

Warm voice for a warm song! NICE...

But first, a small, small thing I noticed. Some of the transitions are not as smooth as they should have been, like they've been chopped up a little. For songs like these, I suggest for jaw movements to be kept smooth and gentle, instead of rather abruptly dropping for closing it, like for R&B. Another way is to move your head together with the melody. Let the melody go to your head, relax yourself, and let yourself sway to the music. This would let you feel the music even more deeply, too, and it will go into your singing. It would make the song even more touching than it already is!

Other than that, pitching isn't a problem, although the small thing I pointed out earlier did make you go a bit sharp a few point. Technique-wise, this didn't need too much of it, as the main point of it is to make people feel moved and cry. But because I'm heartless, I didn't. Haha! Though I have to say I was moved. I could feel how much you love Taiwan, and you're really tempting me to go to Taiwan again! Haha!

So, in all, rather well done! =)
foocw
Public Performer/Reviewer

Local time: Fri, November 24th 2017, 11:47 pm

Postby AClovetosing » Sun, March 31st 2013, 1:19 pm

Thanks chuan wei ^^

My collabs:
Spoiler: show
1. 千年
2. 陪你
3. S.N.G - Nicky Zhou
4. 孤單摩天輪 - 飛輪海
5. Brown Eyes X 戀人未滿

爱这种离谱感觉
因為你 - 蕭亞軒
郑元畅 - 忠于原味
閃亮的夢想 - 葳宣&葳安

SODAGREEN PROJECT
S.H.E PROJECT
Next to open: 小宇宙

AC's homeSoundcloudYoutubeCollabs YTFB Page

ATM Group TopicATM YT ChannelATM Fan Page
AClovetosing
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Local time: Fri, November 24th 2017, 8:47 pm

Postby Agitjob » Sun, March 31st 2013, 1:25 pm

foocw wrote:
Agitjob wrote:feedback for us please :shuai: Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfDtJaj2Fo

Hello Kraken! Took me a while, though. Sorry!

Ohh...cute Kraken! Haha!

This is too easy for you! Wasn't even stretched most of the time! I wanted to laugh when I heard your rapping. The I remembered mine, and decided I can't laugh. Haha!

And because it was so effortless for you, there really isn't much I can say. At the most, I would suggest making your own vocal tracks a bit louder, or sing closer to your mic. And try to breathe slightly sharper and open your mouth a little wider. Then you won't sound so strained.

There, short and sweet! Haha!

xD oh my, ppl told me to sing further to the mic before cuz i sounded so close and now... guess i put the mic too far already xD gonna adjust again. Thanks for da suggestion, dudie :shuai:
Me Blue Moley In da house
Thanks Sarah for making this cute signature for me :aww:
Trio with Josh and Ceci :hamham:

:magnify: Find, Follow, Add and Subscribe to APC
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Agitjob
Adminnie
Adminnie

Local time: Fri, November 24th 2017, 6:47 pm

Postby foocw » Mon, April 1st 2013, 1:11 pm

Agitjob wrote:
foocw wrote:
Agitjob wrote:feedback for us please :shuai: Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfDtJaj2Fo

Hello Kraken! Took me a while, though. Sorry!

Ohh...cute Kraken! Haha!

This is too easy for you! Wasn't even stretched most of the time! I wanted to laugh when I heard your rapping. The I remembered mine, and decided I can't laugh. Haha!

And because it was so effortless for you, there really isn't much I can say. At the most, I would suggest making your own vocal tracks a bit louder, or sing closer to your mic. And try to breathe slightly sharper and open your mouth a little wider. Then you won't sound so strained.

There, short and sweet! Haha!

xD oh my, ppl told me to sing further to the mic before cuz i sounded so close and now... guess i put the mic too far already xD gonna adjust again. Thanks for da suggestion, dudie :shuai:

Heck, get a new mic! And do keep in mind the dynamic range of your mic, so that you know where to place your mic and yourself to record most optimally. It could take a few rounds of trial and error, which I did when I was figuring out how to position my mic for me to record it most efficiently and at best quality. While recording some of my covers and collabs after buying my new mic stand and shock mount, I spent quite a bit of time removing and re-mounting my mic, just so I can place it nicely enough for me to record in relative comfort, and having it record at optimum quality. If you need to, do the same! Though I'm quite sure you won't take as long as I did to figure it out, because I'm a far bigger idiot than you are. Haha!
foocw

Re: foocw - Reviewer Profile [Accepting]

Postby MelodicSkies » Mon, April 8th 2013, 6:46 am

Do you mind reviewing this? :) I came in the second verse. (I'm the not-so-sweet sounding one :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_95JhrQDyGI
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Sat, November 25th 2017, 7:47 am

Postby foocw » Sun, April 14th 2013, 6:28 am

MelodicSkies wrote:Do you mind reviewing this? :) I came in the second verse. (I'm the not-so-sweet sounding one :P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_95JhrQDyGI

Ahh yes...I recognised your voice almost immediately!

Now the first thing I noticed would be that you are slightly excessively throaty in some parts, especially in the beginning. It could be a case of personal preference, of course, but I feel that you did not need to be that throaty to convey the emotions you were trying to give out, so it came across to me as a little bit too emotional, even though this was supposed to be a very emotional song. And so, for me, because it was so packed with emotion in the beginning, it was always going to be difficult to build up on it in the later parts of the song. So I would have liked a little more restraint in the beginning, then slowly build up as the song goes on.

Another little thing to take note of would be the slightly stiff transitions between words in the higher parts. Which is very normal, since a lot of us (me included) tend to place a greater emphasis on hitting notes, however we do it. So we sometimes forget to manage our breathing, among other things. So the higher lines may come across maybe a bit strained and stiff as as result. I would get around this with more practice, so that I can anticipate what I need to do in which part. You could give it a try, too!

I'm really picking on bones here, as there really isn't much for me to say. Generally very well done! Keep it going, girl! =)
foocw

Postby MelodicSkies » Wed, April 24th 2013, 10:26 pm

Thanks so much for reviewing the previous one! Do you mind reviewing this one as well? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJzoVXLIVpA
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby foocw » Wed, May 22nd 2013, 1:30 pm

MelodicSkies wrote:Thanks so much for reviewing the previous one! Do you mind reviewing this one as well? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJzoVXLIVpA

Having heard you sing in person, reviewing you has just become that little bit more difficult. Because you have SO MUCH POWER! Enough to bust the speakers in the KTV! So powerful that I'm starting to think that your mic isn't doing you much justice. I won't go as far as to tell you that it is a must for you to change your mic, since, first of all, mics aren't cheap. And it's not easy to switch to a new mic from a mic that one is already very used to. I changed mics a bit less than a year ago, and I'm still learning how to use it properly! Haha!

As for this collab, the biggest impression I have is that the song doesn't entirely suit your style of singing. Firstly, I can quite clearly hear that it is indeed a bit too low for you, as it sounds like the song is stopping you from going all out and unleashing your full potential, which is in your high range. The song never really let you move out of your middle zone. Which is a huge waste!

Secondly, it's never easy singing something that has so little background music, as there are barely any markers that one can use to stay on-beat. Although it wasn't very easy to spot, there were still some parts which sounded like they were ever so slightly off-beat. Can't say that it's purely because of you, of course, as this is indeed one tough song to follow.

Thirdly, because there is so little background music, there is a need for the vocals to make up for the lack of musical content in the song, which I personally found was slightly lacking, as I feel that you are very slightly lacking in 'groove'. Which I think may be down to how your mouth and jaw are moving. One thing you could try for songs like these is to move your jaw slightly more quickly and abruptly at changes of tone within the same word or sentence. I know this looks quite abstract and hard to understand, but you can go look at how the pros do it. Some of them show very pronounced 'jaw actions' that will show you quite clearly what they are doing, which make it easier for you to look at and maybe mimic.

In all, the general feeling I have is that you have made the best you could out of something you were not entirely suited for. For which I must give full marks for effort!

P.S. on another, erm, note, I hope I can sing together with you again some day! How fun that would be. Haha!
foocw

Postby AClovetosing » Fri, May 24th 2013, 2:04 am

Here i'm again...
Can you review this cover please?! :D
https://soundcloud.com/aclovetosing/back-to-start-cover

My collabs:
1. 千年
2. 陪你
3. S.N.G - Nicky Zhou
4. 孤單摩天輪 - 飛輪海
5. Brown Eyes X 戀人未滿

爱这种离谱感觉
因為你 - 蕭亞軒
郑元畅 - 忠于原味
閃亮的夢想 - 葳宣&葳安

SODAGREEN PROJECT
S.H.E PROJECT

AClovetosing
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Postby foocw » Fri, May 24th 2013, 6:26 am

Anny! I shall take my time with this, and have you wait quaking in fear...HIAK HIAK HIAK HIAK HIAK~~~ *rubs hands in glee* :whips: :slyfox:
foocw

Postby AClovetosing » Fri, May 24th 2013, 11:45 am

So evil cw... :josh: 5 lines is enough xDD

My collabs:
1. 千年
2. 陪你
3. S.N.G - Nicky Zhou
4. 孤單摩天輪 - 飛輪海
5. Brown Eyes X 戀人未滿

爱这种离谱感觉
因為你 - 蕭亞軒
郑元畅 - 忠于原味
閃亮的夢想 - 葳宣&葳安

SODAGREEN PROJECT
S.H.E PROJECT

AClovetosing
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Postby Musa » Sat, June 1st 2013, 6:40 am

Hi~!
Are you free to do another review?
Better - SHINee
I know it's not Chinese or English, I'm sorry...
you can refuse it if you really don't want to^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTV_HBzO0Q
My current collabs:
1) 2NE1 - I Love You (Recording)
2) GLAM - I Like That (Recording)
3) B.A.P - Stop It (Recording)
4) Alayahsmiles - Days On Lesson (Recording)
5) Big Bang - Lies (Audio Mixing)
6) 2NE1 - It Hurts (Audio Mixing)
7) C-ute - Kiss Me Aishiteru (Audio Mixing)
8) As Long As There's Christmas - Beauty and the Beast 2 (Recording)
Musa

Local time: Sat, November 25th 2017, 12:47 am

Postby foocw » Sun, June 2nd 2013, 1:44 pm

AClovetosing wrote:Here i'm again...
Can you review this cover please?! :D
https://soundcloud.com/aclovetosing/back-to-start-cover

Hui Dao Zui Chu! One of the more deceptive songs I've heard in years. So I first have to commend you for your bravery for jumping head-first into a minefield. Haha!

I want to first start by giving a bit of my opinion about the original singer. 蔡淳佳 is a singer I admire and envy very much, because I find her to be one of only a few who have what I call "the best of both worlds": a moving voice AND very solid technique. And because of this, a lot of her songs are very technical, and thus extremely difficult to sing. And this song, in my opinion, is one of the hardest, not because it has a very extreme range, but because it is very technical in many other different ways.

The first thing is that the song is full of little transitions. Which, on hindsight, is quite natural, since it is composed by JJ Lin, who also knows full well that Joi Chua can handle them. You handled them admirably, Anny, though they could be a little more precise. My way of learning to do transitions was to break each of them down into individual notes, then link them together as smoothly as I can. It may involve some sudden, very slight movements of the head or the lower jaw, which are useful in making the transitions sound smooth yet precise. It takes a lot of practice to get a good hold of all those little sensations, and to use them effectively and subconsciously. I myself am far from being in total control , even after learning to do those transitions for so long, but that is purely down to me being the least talented person in the world. Anyone can become better than me with much, much less practice, and I am quite sure you can, too!

Here's something that you can probably use for practice! If can transition smoothly and precisely in this song, you can do the same for pretty much anything.

http://youtu.be/Av2nAUpIArM

The second thing is that Joi Chua has a very beautiful falsetto, which she is not at all afraid to use anytime, because she can switch between normal and falsetto so cleanly and effortlessly. Which is why so many of her songs involve quite sudden transitions between her normal and falsetto voice. Which you will still need a bit of practice on, as you cracked on quite a few of them. I find that this is because you either have no confidence in maintaining total control when you go into your falsetto range, or that you are as yet unable to 'unlock' your falsetto range freely. Again, it's a very tiny, subtle sensation in the throat, whereby the voice seems to be 'moving up' the throat. And again, there are a few ways of triggering that little sensation, which I find are quite effective. One way is to close the eyes and do a slight, sudden frown. The other is the exact opposite: raise the brow, eyes wide open. The 3rd way is more peculiar, though it is something a lot of divas do: move the hands. They can be combined, though it would be quite impossible to be closing the eyes and having them wide open at the same time. Haha!

That said, I myself can't do that anytime, all the time. The link below could be a good start in learning to 'trigger' the falsetto range, as there is quite a bit of time to prepare for it. I'm not self-advertising, though! I chose this simply because its key is lower than original. Haha!

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/R-wIGgb2/dia ... oocw_.html?

In fact, there's another person you can go for to learn to falsetto freely: your doudou! Haha!

The 3rd thing I shall not pick on, because I myself cannot do it: singing its chorus without running out of breath, or 'sneaking' breaths. I still have no idea how Joi Chua does it! Haha!

All in all, admirable cover, given how difficult the song is. And my review has been A BIT longer than the 5 lines requested. Haha! Jiayou jiayou! I'm quite sure you can learn much faster and become much better than me, the least talented person in the world. Haha!
foocw

Postby AClovetosing » Sun, June 2nd 2013, 10:26 pm

:xiexie: Thank you thank you thank you...
but if it was in chinese could be easier to understand hor... *goes to google translator* =P
and about the breathing... omg that was hard -.-"
P.S.: Ni an lian Joi chua oh?! xDD *runs*

My collabs:
1. 千年
2. 陪你
3. S.N.G - Nicky Zhou
4. 孤單摩天輪 - 飛輪海
5. Brown Eyes X 戀人未滿

爱这种离谱感觉
因為你 - 蕭亞軒
郑元畅 - 忠于原味
閃亮的夢想 - 葳宣&葳安

SODAGREEN PROJECT
S.H.E PROJECT

AClovetosing
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Postby iheartjared » Mon, June 3rd 2013, 10:55 am

Hi~~~ Could you please review my cover of 'Wings' by Little Mix?
I've been hesitant to upload it to youtube even though it's been done for almost a year >.<
Thanks!
-Lauren
https://www.box.com/s/ax7pvruojwkg7ep8w6ld
Jun Hyosung - Good-night Kiss

iheartjared
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Fri, November 24th 2017, 5:47 pm

Postby MelodicSkies » Mon, June 10th 2013, 6:19 am

Last edited by MelodicSkies on Sat, June 29th 2013, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby foocw » Sat, June 29th 2013, 5:55 am

songchicky1997 wrote:Hi~!
Better - SHINee

Japanese! Not exactly a language I totally don't understand, given the amount of anime I watch, but I shall still not say much about diction, since mine isn't at all accurate either. So I'll start by picking bones on mixing. Not that there are huge issues, only small things that I personally feel can be refined ever so slightly more.

These are purely what I think, so if there is anything I say that you don't agree with, do feel free to let me know. Also, I can only tell you what I feel, and talk about what to look out for, but I can't say anything about the technical side of mixing, since I myself haven't been doing any mixing.

First would be the volume of the tracks. The harmonies could be made a little softer, so it doesn't 'fight' against the main vocals, since harmonies are supposed to support the main vocals, instead of distract from them. This is even more so for a song like this, which has quite a number of layers of vocals. Each layer will need to be at a different volume, so that each layer doesn't 'fight' with the other.

Second would be timing. For songs with so many layers, the timing of each layer needs to be rather precise, so as to maintain the coherence of the song. But I'm being picky here, since there are at most only a couple of parts that are mere fractions of a second off.

Technique-wise, I'd say the song suits you OK. You are at most a little strained at the highest parts, but no real big problems otherwise. Keep at it! =)
foocw

Postby Musa » Thu, July 25th 2013, 4:56 pm

foocw wrote:
songchicky1997 wrote:Hi~!
Better - SHINee

Japanese! Not exactly a language I totally don't understand, given the amount of anime I watch, but I shall still not say much about diction, since mine isn't at all accurate either. So I'll start by picking bones on mixing. Not that there are huge issues, only small things that I personally feel can be refined ever so slightly more.

These are purely what I think, so if there is anything I say that you don't agree with, do feel free to let me know. Also, I can only tell you what I feel, and talk about what to look out for, but I can't say anything about the technical side of mixing, since I myself haven't been doing any mixing.

First would be the volume of the tracks. The harmonies could be made a little softer, so it doesn't 'fight' against the main vocals, since harmonies are supposed to support the main vocals, instead of distract from them. This is even more so for a song like this, which has quite a number of layers of vocals. Each layer will need to be at a different volume, so that each layer doesn't 'fight' with the other.

Second would be timing. For songs with so many layers, the timing of each layer needs to be rather precise, so as to maintain the coherence of the song. But I'm being picky here, since there are at most only a couple of parts that are mere fractions of a second off.

Technique-wise, I'd say the song suits you OK. You are at most a little strained at the highest parts, but no real big problems otherwise. Keep at it! =)

Okay, so I saw this now, lol, sorry for not answering sooner....
Anyway, you're right about the harmonies and such, I should've put their volume softer...^^
Yeah I know, timing isn't my best point ;)
Anyway, thanks a lot for this review, it was very helpful,
I'll keep everything you said in mind!!
Thanks again!! XD
My current collabs:
1) 2NE1 - I Love You (Recording)
2) GLAM - I Like That (Recording)
3) B.A.P - Stop It (Recording)
4) Alayahsmiles - Days On Lesson (Recording)
5) Big Bang - Lies (Audio Mixing)
6) 2NE1 - It Hurts (Audio Mixing)
7) C-ute - Kiss Me Aishiteru (Audio Mixing)
8) As Long As There's Christmas - Beauty and the Beast 2 (Recording)
Musa

Local time: Sat, November 25th 2017, 12:47 am

Postby foocw » Sat, September 28th 2013, 1:46 pm

iheartjared wrote:Hi~~~ Could you please review my cover of 'Wings' by Little Mix?
I've been hesitant to upload it to youtube even though it's been done for almost a year >.<
Thanks!
-Lauren
<span><a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="https://www.box.com/s/ax7pvruojwkg7ep8w6ld">https://www.box.com/s/ax7pvruojwkg7ep8w6ld</a></span>

Sorry for taking so long!

First, I can tell you that you needn't have hesitated, because this is very well done! Especially the main vocals, from which I can hear how comfortable you were, all the way through. If I were to pick on it, then I'd be being way too fussy.

It did sound like you were struggling a bit in the harmonies, though, especially in the higher parts in the last chorus. It sounds like those parts were done in falsetto, or a higher vocal 'position', which you didn't sound entirely comfortable in, so those parts came across as a bit sharp. With just a bit more practice, you will become more comfortable, and have a greater level of control. Once you're comfortable, you might even want to try doing the high parts in your normal vocal 'position'! This would extend your vocal range, while improving your technique, which is already quite solid.

And I have to say that the mixing was very well done! Every layer is perfectly in sync, and the volume of each layer is managed quite well. I would prefer if the harmonies were a little bit softer, but that's just me.

Overall, very well done! Keep 'em coming!
foocw

Postby iheartjared » Mon, September 30th 2013, 7:02 am

foocw wrote:
iheartjared wrote:Hi~~~ Could you please review my cover of 'Wings' by Little Mix?
Thanks!
-Lauren
<span><a class="smarterwiki-linkify" href="https://www.box.com/s/ax7pvruojwkg7ep8w6ld">https://www.box.com/s/ax7pvruojwkg7ep8w6ld</a></span>

Sorry for taking so long!

First, I can tell you that you needn't have hesitated, because this is very well done! Especially the main vocals, from which I can hear how comfortable you were, all the way through. If I were to pick on it, then I'd be being way too fussy.

It did sound like you were struggling a bit in the harmonies, though, especially in the higher parts in the last chorus. It sounds like those parts were done in falsetto, or a higher vocal 'position', which you didn't sound entirely comfortable in, so those parts came across as a bit sharp. With just a bit more practice, you will become more comfortable, and have a greater level of control. Once you're comfortable, you might even want to try doing the high parts in your normal vocal 'position'! This would extend your vocal range, while improving your technique, which is already quite solid.

And I have to say that the mixing was very well done! Every layer is perfectly in sync, and the volume of each layer is managed quite well. I would prefer if the harmonies were a little bit softer, but that's just me.

Overall, very well done! Keep 'em coming!

Oh wow thank you so much! ^^
I'll try to work on that falsetto, I know its not my strong point if I go too high :(
Would you mind if I submit a few more covers for you to review?

Somethin' Stupid - Robbie Williams feat Nicole Kidman (I sang this one entirely in a 3 part harmony) https://app.box.com/s/ty3rry6evtd7z23cub50

Troublemaker - Olly Murs
https://app.box.com/s/suaewnncxmt2syd15o76
Jun Hyosung - Good-night Kiss

iheartjared
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Fri, November 24th 2017, 5:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Reviews Team