foocw - Reviewer Profile [NOT Accepting]

Need critic and advice on your covers? This is the place! ^-^

Manager: songchicky1997

Moderators: Global Moderators, Admin Assistant

Re: foocw - Reviewer Profile [Accepting]

Postby foocw » Sat, November 3rd 2012, 5:09 am

MelodicSkies wrote:Thanks so much for the review!
In the previous song I think it was supposed to be sad, because her lover wanted to leave her or something, so I tried to sound sad. ^^"
Thanks for the information though!

Sorry for heaping so many videos on you. But do you mind critiqueing this too?
Song: OMG (Oh My God)
Artist: TTS(TaeTiSeo)
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzZlztDu ... ture=g-u-u

I sang as Taeyeon. :)

Firstly, sorry for having taken so long. Been very busy over the past couple of weeks. Secondly, sorry for misinterpreting the meaning of the song you last requested me to review, which resulted in my misguided analysis.

Goes to show that I am as mortal as everyone here, as I make my fair share of mistakes, too! Perfection does not exist, but let's help one another go as close to perfection as we can!

Here goes, then!

Hmm...I think I shall talk about pitching first. Pitching is pretty well done, as usual, though I could distinctly hear your strain in the later parts of the song, where you were struggling just to stay on key. There were a few instances where you didn't sound like you had enough air to sustain the high notes, and were 'wringing' your throat to finish them. I'm not saying that you should cheat by cutting short some of your lines (which I sometimes do), but this is very harmful to your throat, which may make you lose your voice more easily than others. It takes a while to fully learn how to broaden your vocal range using different vocal 'positions', but it is nonetheless important to keep trying to find more efficient ways of singing. It would not only be beneficial to your overall skill, it also protects your precious voice by taking some of the burden away from your throat. I can understand how painful it is to not have a voice to sing, or even talk, as I myself have pushed my throat beyond its limits a number of times, both at home and at the KTV, and ended up breaking it. Which meant 6 weeks of almost absolutely no singing at all for each instance, which was painful, especially when I was dying to cover something. So do try to find the most comfortable and efficient style of singing, to protect what made you able to sing in the first place! =)

Moving on...

It sounds to me that you were not the most comfortable with the tempo of the song, and the rather sudden changes in pitch, which sort of added to your strain, as it sounded like you were struggling a little to keep up. I don't blame you, cos it would have been difficult for anyone to immediately keep up with a tune that jumped around so much. I like to bang on about being familiar to a song to the point that one could sing it from start to end with eyes closed, but I myself can't do that all the time, especially in a collab, where there are many more variable factors, but it is always good to listen carefully to the details of a song, and find your way of going about singing it. Adds a little more personality to your singing, too, as you would be trying to make someone else's song your own, instead of just going through it like a shadow of the original.

I see that your are having a sore throat. Take good care of your throat! Give it as much time to rest as you can. If it doesn't seem to be getting better after a while, do go see a doctor to see how it can be fixed. It would pain many of us here to see you lose your voice!
foocw
Public Performer/Reviewer

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 1:54 pm

Postby MelodicSkies » Sat, November 3rd 2012, 9:49 am

foocw wrote:
Firstly, sorry for having taken so long. Been very busy over the past couple of weeks. Secondly, sorry for misinterpreting the meaning of the song you last requested me to review, which resulted in my misguided analysis.

Goes to show that I am as mortal as everyone here, as I make my fair share of mistakes, too! Perfection does not exist, but let's help one another go as close to perfection as we can!

Here goes, then!

Hmm...I think I shall talk about pitching first. Pitching is pretty well done, as usual, though I could distinctly hear your strain in the later parts of the song, where you were struggling just to stay on key. There were a few instances where you didn't sound like you had enough air to sustain the high notes, and were 'wringing' your throat to finish them. I'm not saying that you should cheat by cutting short some of your lines (which I sometimes do), but this is very harmful to your throat, which may make you lose your voice more easily than others. It takes a while to fully learn how to broaden your vocal range using different vocal 'positions', but it is nonetheless important to keep trying to find more efficient ways of singing. It would not only be beneficial to your overall skill, it also protects your precious voice by taking some of the burden away from your throat. I can understand how painful it is to not have a voice to sing, or even talk, as I myself have pushed my throat beyond its limits a number of times, both at home and at the KTV, and ended up breaking it. Which meant 6 weeks of almost absolutely no singing at all for each instance, which was painful, especially when I was dying to cover something. So do try to find the most comfortable and efficient style of singing, to protect what made you able to sing in the first place! =)

Moving on...

It sounds to me that you were not the most comfortable with the tempo of the song, and the rather sudden changes in pitch, which sort of added to your strain, as it sounded like you were struggling a little to keep up. I don't blame you, cos it would have been difficult for anyone to immediately keep up with a tune that jumped around so much. I like to bang on about being familiar to a song to the point that one could sing it from start to end with eyes closed, but I myself can't do that all the time, especially in a collab, where there are many more variable factors, but it is always good to listen carefully to the details of a song, and find your way of going about singing it. Adds a little more personality to your singing, too, as you would be trying to make someone else's song your own, instead of just going through it like a shadow of the original.

I see that your are having a sore throat. Take good care of your throat! Give it as much time to rest as you can. If it doesn't seem to be getting better after a while, do go see a doctor to see how it can be fixed. It would pain many of us here to see you lose your voice!

Thanks for the review! It's okay, I make so many mistakes in my life. So much more than the average person, it's almost a crime :/

Ahhh guess what?

...I lost my voice. :/ I have a bacterial infection in my voicebox and I haven't sung for 2 weeks already. :'( And I have a long list of collabs to record for, as well as singing lessons to attend and Band practices and kafhqimhmxq

Thanks for the help though! ^^
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 9:54 pm

Postby foocw » Sun, November 4th 2012, 3:49 am

Can't be helped, then. Got to give it time to fully recover before you get back into singing, so as not to risk damaging your throat further, which can only be a bad thing. And ease yourself back into singing. If you've been given medicine, take it regularly, and only come back when you're feeling comfortable. Go easy on yourself in the earlier stages of recovery, then slowly increase your range based on your comfort level. The last thing you want would be to hurt it again before you've fully recovered. Take care!
foocw

Postby MelodicSkies » Sun, November 4th 2012, 8:00 am

Song: Intro
Artist: Wondergirls
Link: https://www.box.com/s/crl4zk2vpd5kb1ksg442
Last edited by MelodicSkies on Thu, December 27th 2012, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 9:54 pm

Postby shakyshakeeeee » Sun, November 4th 2012, 12:51 pm

hello~! ^^
can i have your review again? it's a korean song ><
Song: Girls' Generation
Artist: Kye Bum Joo
Link: http://soundcloud.com/wilona-huang/girl ... e-bum-joos

thankyou!! ^^
**NEWEST COVERS**
shakyshakeeeee
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby Musa » Wed, November 28th 2012, 4:56 pm

Hi~!
I am just curious what you're thinking of my (extremely) short cover^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJYj0My7 ... ture=g-upl
No need to be afraid to hurt my feelings or such,
I just want your real oppinion XD
This was my entry for the APC Idol competition season 2,
I didn't go to the second round, so could you maybe give me some advice? ^_^
My current collabs:
1) 2NE1 - I Love You (Recording)
2) GLAM - I Like That (Recording)
3) B.A.P - Stop It (Recording)
4) Alayahsmiles - Days On Lesson (Recording)
5) Big Bang - Lies (Audio Mixing)
6) 2NE1 - It Hurts (Audio Mixing)
7) C-ute - Kiss Me Aishiteru (Audio Mixing)
8) As Long As There's Christmas - Beauty and the Beast 2 (Recording)
Musa

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 2:54 pm

Postby ithanklove » Fri, December 21st 2012, 11:52 am

Hello! I'd like to thank you for your extreanely detailed review last time.

Can you please review this?

skip to 0.35 to hear me sing

someone commented that i changed the pitch or something all the time in the song. i was a very negative comment. i didn't really understand what he said because in one direction there are 5 members so all their voice are different so changing my pitch would be okay since it's a cover. right???
ithanklove
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 10:54 pm

Postby foocw » Wed, December 26th 2012, 6:02 am

PiggyMelody wrote:Thanks for your last review ^^

New cover :

Ahh...good song choice! Mellow, slow songs like this suit you rather well.

The same issues with diction remain. Do look for the pinyins of the lyrics of the songs you want to cover, and use them as your reference. You do need to be careful with them, though, as I've seen many laughably incorrect ones all over youtube. And when looking at the pinyins, pronounce any word with 'zh' with a 'j' tone in its place. It's not the most correct way of doing it, but it's a close-enough temporary measure.

Pitching also remains a little shaky, partly also because of a slight lack of efficiency in managing your breathing. This was most evident in your first line, where you took an extra breath in between the sentence, which was not supposed to be there. Although I did say that we can sometimes cheat my finding spots to sneak breaths into, those spots are not always available. We can only sneak breaths into places which sound like breaks in sentences without giving off the impression that a breath shouldn't have been taken, and there wasn't such a spot in the first line. That line had to be done by taking a deep breath, then slowly and softly letting your air out as you went through the lyrics and melody. Dare to breathe in sharply, until you feel your chest or diaphragm expand, depending on which is more natural and comfortable. You can somewhat 'make' it happen by sitting up while you're breathing, as though you're about to dive into a pool of water. Manage your outward airflow by knowing beforehand how long each sentence is, its melody (the wider the range, the more air needed), and the lyrics (whether there are words that waste air, which are pretty much the words that make 'pop' sounds when we record them, like those with 'p', 't', 'sh' tones, etc). This basically means you need to know the song like the back of your hand, or better. This would help you take far greater control over whatever song you sing.

Also do be careful with timing, especially during the 'climaxes' of songs, where it tends to run a little. 2 possible reasons. The first is being too pumped up, and unwittingly running through the lines. Another is fear of the typically higher notes in those parts, which would make us subconsciously run through them. One thing I like to do to keep myself in tempo is to tap my feet according to the rhythm of the background music. In a sense, my feet hold me in tempo. Although they do get 'led astray' sometimes, I'm usually more in rhythm with my feet tapping than without. Another way is to use your hands to follow the rhythm, as though conducting an orchestra. But I don't recommend it to anyone who uploads videos of their physical selves, as it's a bit ugly. Haha!

Do keep practising! And practice doesn't have to be difficult. Just sing along to songs that you like when you hear them! Anytime, anywhere. Hopefully without attracting bewildered glances, of course. Haha!
foocw

Re: foocw - Reviewer Profile [NOT Accepting]

Postby Agitjob » Sun, December 30th 2012, 11:22 am

feedback for us please :shuai: Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfDtJaj2Fo
Me Blue Moley In da house
Thanks Sarah for making this cute signature for me :aww:
Trio with Josh and Ceci :hamham:

:magnify: Find, Follow, Add and Subscribe to APC
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Agitjob
Adminnie
Adminnie

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 8:54 am

Postby foocw » Thu, February 28th 2013, 12:02 pm

kaoruhyung wrote:thanks for you review :)
yeah, i always have trouble with flow and transition from high notes to low notes. but i'll do my best.
i hope you dont mind me dropping a new cover. this one is in english again. ^^

Sorry for taking so long!!! *bows and begs for forgiveness*

And boy, was I in for a rather pleasant surprise! On the technical side, this is quite well done! I immediately heard a deep sense of warmth, and a tinge of pain in it. The range of the song also suits you quite well, as I can hear how comfortable and confident you were in using different techniques, such as falsetto and vibrato. And although I still hear a bit of you 'cutting the notes too cleanly', it didn't affect my opinion of your cover by much, as a slow-ish, rather simple song like this doesn't really need very slick and quick transitions.

The one thing that seems a bit strange is the rather excessive echo, which, to me, is a little counter-productive, as it somewhat distracts me from listening to your beautiful singing. Not sure if it was an effect or an accident, so I shall not comment too much on that. Also do be careful when you're about to increase volume, as you did 'blow up' your mic in your 2nd last line. Do try to move away from your mic as you're about to increase volume. If you're using audio software like Audacity, which I am, look at the available range, and the amplitude of the sound waves recorded. The key is to go as close to the ends of the range, without overshooting either end. It's similar for other software, like the sound recorder app in most smartphones. Look at their effective range, which will be displayed, and try not to exceed them.

There isn't much I can pick on, really. Very well done! Keep it up! =)
foocw

Postby Musa » Thu, February 28th 2013, 1:01 pm

Btw how's my review going?^^
My current collabs:
Musa

Postby foocw » Thu, February 28th 2013, 1:32 pm

MelodicSkies wrote:Song: Intro
Artist: Wondergirls
Link: https://www.box.com/s/crl4zk2vpd5kb1ksg442

Darn, my review got wiped out when I clicked 'submit'! Oh well, here we go again...

My...this is short! Haha!

And because it's so short, there really isn't much for me to talk about. Other than that it sounds like you hadn't fully recovered from your bad throat then, as it sounded like you were struggling to get your power in and go high, which I think could be because you were unwittingly taking more shallow breaths. Everything else is all good, as usual.

My guess could well be wrong, of course, but I'd still like to talk about this a little, in case anyone goes through the same.

It can happen when one is recovering from illness or injury, and thus hadn't been very active. Well at least it happens to me, though I'm not sure it does for anyone else. I do tend to sing worse when I haven't been actively moving around, either while recovering from illness or injury, or while being plain lazy. Haha! My breathing goes all wrong, and I run out of breath in places I usually don't. It gets better as my health gets better, so I do believe that a healthy lifestyle helps singing. So stay healthy, people! Haha!
foocw

Postby foocw » Thu, February 28th 2013, 1:36 pm

songchicky1997 wrote:Btw how's my review going?^^

I'll try to finish up all my reviews on hand (including yours) by latest Saturday. Sorry for keeping you waiting! :headbutt:
foocw

Postby Musa » Thu, February 28th 2013, 1:48 pm

foocw wrote:
songchicky1997 wrote:Btw how's my review going?^^

I'll try to finish up all my reviews on hand (including yours) by latest Saturday. Sorry for keeping you waiting! :headbutt:

No prob^^Just asking (in case you forgot) Thanks a lot!! XD
My current collabs:
Musa

Postby foocw » Wed, March 13th 2013, 1:22 pm

shakyshakeeeee wrote:hello~! ^^
can i have your review again? it's a korean song ><
Song: Girls' Generation
Artist: Kye Bum Joo
Link: http://soundcloud.com/wilona-huang/girl ... e-bum-joos

thankyou!! ^^

Sorry for taking so long!!!

Anyway...

Oh! A happy-sounding, medium-fast song! Right up your alley! Hehe...

Technique-wise, most of your transitions (falsetto and back, ad-libs, etc) were done very smoothly and accurately, only going slightly sharp twice in the entire song, when you were switching in and out of falsetto. Other than that, there's really not much I can pick on without coming across as a fussy little prick. Haha!

At most I can say that this song suits you so well that it almost sounds too easy for you. I've said before that you have a happy voice, but because you have such good technique, I'm tempted to challenge you to step out of your comfort zone and sing something less technical and more emotional, to let you develop more emotions into your singing. But that takes time and personal experience to build up, so don't sweat too much on it!

You have rather strong basics in your technique, nobody can deny you that. Do continue singing and listening to good music, and let the music pull on your heartstrings. Hwaiting! =)
foocw

Postby foocw » Wed, March 13th 2013, 2:13 pm

songchicky1997 wrote:Hi~!

Sorry for taking so long!!! Though it may well have turned out to be a good thing that I looked that this after APC Idol, as I happened to be one of the judges. Wouldn't have been very fair to everyone if I had reviewed this during the competition, so I wanted to avoid anything which would bring question to my integrity and impartiality as a judge.

Anyway...

The first thing I notice is your choice of song. "There You'll Be" is a song that even some professional singers wouldn't dare to cover, simply because it's so difficult to sing which is so grand. Something like this requires a great deal of skill in controlling pitching, volume and other transitions, while giving off very strong emotions. And as the background music added quite a bit to its grandeur, having to sing it without the music was always going to be disadvantageous. I do admire your courage in trying, though! I remember I wrote "this person is very brave" on my personal judging notes while going through all the entries. Haha!

Secondly, I can rather distinctly hear your youth, as your singing comes across to me as being a tad raw. Fundamentally, your technique is a little shaky, lacking in overall control, which tells me that you're lacking in practice and experience. But don't get discouraged from singing, for it is through singing that you gain the practice and experience you need. When listening to music, pay attention to all the small details you hear, and imagine how the singers you listen to did what they did in the songs you listen to. Then do what you think they did until you can repeat those things comfortably and accurately. This is also pretty much how I learned to sing, by listening to the songs I like hundreds of times to try to sing every detail right. That said, I myself am still learning, as there are still tons of things my voice cannot do, at least not yet.

If it's hard to imagine using purely music, look for videos of the songs you listen to. How the singers sing in the videos could reveal quite come clues to their techniques. And practice, practice, practice. It doesn't make perfect, of course, since perfection doesn't exist, but practice will bring you close enough! Do keep singing! =)
foocw

Postby Musa » Thu, March 14th 2013, 12:57 pm

foocw wrote:

Sorry for taking so long!!! Though it may well have turned out to be a good thing that I looked that this after APC Idol, as I happened to be one of the judges. Wouldn't have been very fair to everyone if I had reviewed this during the competition, so I wanted to avoid anything which would bring question to my integrity and impartiality as a judge.

Anyway...

The first thing I notice is your choice of song. "There You'll Be" is a song that even some professional singers wouldn't dare to cover, simply because it's so difficult to sing which is so grand. Something like this requires a great deal of skill in controlling pitching, volume and other transitions, while giving off very strong emotions. And as the background music added quite a bit to its grandeur, having to sing it without the music was always going to be disadvantageous. I do admire your courage in trying, though! I remember I wrote "this person is very brave" on my personal judging notes while going through all the entries. Haha!

Secondly, I can rather distinctly hear your youth, as your singing comes across to me as being a tad raw. Fundamentally, your technique is a little shaky, lacking in overall control, which tells me that you're lacking in practice and experience. But don't get discouraged from singing, for it is through singing that you gain the practice and experience you need. When listening to music, pay attention to all the small details you hear, and imagine how the singers you listen to did what they did in the songs you listen to. Then do what you think they did until you can repeat those things comfortably and accurately. This is also pretty much how I learned to sing, by listening to the songs I like hundreds of times to try to sing every detail right. That said, I myself am still learning, as there are still tons of things my voice cannot do, at least not yet.

If it's hard to imagine using purely music, look for videos of the songs you listen to. How the singers sing in the videos could reveal quite come clues to their techniques. And practice, practice, practice. It doesn't make perfect, of course, since perfection doesn't exist, but practice will bring you close enough! Do keep singing! =)

Woo~^^ I learned a lot from this review!! Thanks so much!! XD
I'll keep practicing & hopefully I'll gt better :D
P.S. Lol I didn't know you were a judge back then, keke, anyway thanks a lot for the "brave" comment!! (^_^)
My current collabs:
Musa

Postby foocw » Thu, March 14th 2013, 2:46 pm

songchicky1997 wrote:
foocw wrote:

Anyway...

Woo~^^ I learned a lot from this review!! Thanks so much!! XD
I'll keep practicing & hopefully I'll gt better :D
P.S. Lol I didn't know you were a judge back then, keke, anyway thanks a lot for the "brave" comment!! (^_^)

You will, I'm sure of that. If someone as talentless as me can learn (without formal training) to sing till there are people who like my singing (even though I've never cleared any major auditions before ), I'm sure you can do far, far better. Your youth is your strength, as time is on your side. Start with songs with simple melodies, in which technique takes a back seat, and the emphasis is on stability and smoothness in singing. Keep singing until you become comfortable, and can stay on pitch and in tune all the time, without running out of breath. Listen carefully for markers in the songs, such as breathing points, and how the singers sing different words and tones, then try to mimic those things. But only mimic their technique, not their voices! You are you, not anyone else, so you need to retain your personality and individual identity. Same applies for everyone! Keep practicing, and you definitely will improve! =)
foocw

Postby AClovetosing » Thu, March 14th 2013, 2:58 pm

:BT: I see accepting... HOHOHO
Can you review this cover please?

MP3 Link: https://www.box.com/s/ukf0nmtbpop45o7xj2mf

My collabs:
Spoiler: show
1. 千年
2. 陪你
3. S.N.G - Nicky Zhou
4. 孤單摩天輪 - 飛輪海
5. Brown Eyes X 戀人未滿

爱这种离谱感觉
因為你 - 蕭亞軒
郑元畅 - 忠于原味
閃亮的夢想 - 葳宣&葳安

SODAGREEN PROJECT
S.H.E PROJECT
Next to open: 小宇宙

AC's homeSoundcloudYoutubeCollabs YTFB Page

ATM Group TopicATM YT ChannelATM Fan Page
AClovetosing
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Local time: Fri, December 15th 2017, 10:54 am

Postby foocw » Sun, March 31st 2013, 12:45 pm

Agitjob wrote:feedback for us please :shuai: Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhfDtJaj2Fo

Hello Kraken! Took me a while, though. Sorry!

Ohh...cute Kraken! Haha!

This is too easy for you! Wasn't even stretched most of the time! I wanted to laugh when I heard your rapping. The I remembered mine, and decided I can't laugh. Haha!

And because it was so effortless for you, there really isn't much I can say. At the most, I would suggest making your own vocal tracks a bit louder, or sing closer to your mic. And try to breathe slightly sharper and open your mouth a little wider. Then you won't sound so strained.

There, short and sweet! Haha!
foocw

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Reviews Team