Manager: songchicky1997

Moderators: Global Moderators, Admin Assistant

Re: foocw - Reviewer Profile [Accepting]

Postby foocw » Mon, September 24th 2012, 2:36 pm

musicyukipi wrote:i came to give you business too xDD

here's a song i did lik 5months ago HAHAHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5VQYdQ ... E238AA2B46

lalalalala~
wanted to give u my newer cover but its korean xD /imafraidyouwillignoremehahahahaha/ :loostick:
-yuki=D

Even though this was done 5 months ago, I will review it as though it was done yesterday. So feel free to 'fight your case' if my opinions were misguided. I'm fallible, too, since I'm only human, and I do have a tendency to be a little presumptuous, and may go too far with what I say. Your feedback would help me improve as a reviewer, too!

Here goes! No need to be very afraid. Simply because this is a song I have never heard before, and thus have little to base my observations on. I listened to the original after listening to yours! Haha!

The first thing I noticed is that you and the original singer sound rather alike! The range for this song is a generally good fit for you, too, other than a few notes in the chorus which were too high for you to hit consistently. Your falsetto is quite beautiful, so make full use of it. To make your falsetto range even wider, try to push your voice further 'upwards', into a higher 'position'. What I do is either close my eyes, raise my eyebrows or even raise my cheeks. I sometimes do all of them at once, which twists up my expression a little. But who cares when I don't show my face in my videos! Haha!

For what I had just suggested, I personally feel the 'woo' tone is easiest to practise and profoundly feel the change in 'position', so try humming any note with a 'woo' sound, then switch to falsetto while doing any of the 3 (rather ugly) actions I had suggested earlier, in the same breath. You should feel your voice moving upwards, towards the top of your head. Once you can consistently do that, try doing the same with other tones, and even with real words. Once it becomes comfortable to you, it will become a new weapon at your disposal!

A few transitions are a little rough around the edges, which hints of too much force at parts which do not actually need so much force. Try what I had suggested to the others I have reviewed, to control the air coming out from you, letting it out gently across each line, instead of pushing almost everything out at once. Do try taking deeper breaths, too, to give yourself more room to work with, which should give you an even greater measure of control, and smoothen out some of the rougher edges.

Of course, since we are fellow Singaporeans, I'd be happy to give you any of my tips personally, and show you how I do the things I've been telling people to do, in a k-session. But fret not, I won't rip you off, cos such shameless acts are beneath my character. Haha!

Generally pretty well done! You have a warm voice, and I like warm voices, since my own voice is about as far away from being warm as the distance between the North Pole and Singapore. Haha! Keep singing and keep practising! Unless you've lost your voice, at which case you should absolutely stop singing until you recover. I'm a madman who tries to sing when I can't even speak painlessly, so don't follow me! Haha!
foocw
Public Performer/Reviewer

Local time: Sun, December 17th 2017, 6:13 am

Postby kaoruhyung » Tue, September 25th 2012, 4:27 am

i'll drop a cover too x))

Officially Missing You - IU (cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVZAgrR5BE
//mypronounciationishorriblexDDDDandidonthaveaproperinstrumentalsorryxDD//

btw, i don't think i've ever spoken to you before xD
nice to meet ya :P
Yo! Please check out my youtube channel:
SnowyWhiteMusic | kaoruhyung2 | kaoruapcvideoteam
Comment/Subscribe/Add me as a friend if you like. :)

Let's talk
>>CLICK HERE<<
~ :adores: thanks to ilovegreenthings for my awesome signature image :adores: ~
kaoruhyung
Global Moderator/Video Designer Manager

Local time: Sun, December 17th 2017, 2:13 pm

Postby foocw » Tue, September 25th 2012, 7:27 am

AClovetosing wrote:Coming with some business to foocw too xD
New cover..

Parts of the verses are obviously too low for you, given that you went off by entire notes. A girl's pitch is, in most cases, naturally higher than that of a guy's, and is thus usually not the most suitable for something like this, which can be considered a little low even by guy's standards. I believe it would have become much easier to handle if you raised the song by a full key, or one-and-a-half keys.

Control and timing are a little off, especially in the chorus, which, to me, sounds like you were having a bit of trouble catching up, so you weren't perfectly sure when which word was coming at what tone. This is rather common, especially in rather deceptively fast songs like this. Songs like this need more practice time, for you to familiarise yourself with everything that's going on, particularly in managing your airflow, since the song seems to have many long, continuous lines. It helps to go through every song a couple of times before recording for real, so that you know what kind of problems you may face, and how you can go around them. For something like this, going through a few 'dry runs' would help you anticipate what's coming next, so you know what to do to maintain control, and could possibly help you find some 'secret breathing spots', where you can sneak a breath in, again to help you maintain control.

In sports, there's a saying that "power is nothing without control". A similar school of thought applies to singing. Master your own voice, gain full control of it, and release all your potential!
foocw

Postby AClovetosing » Tue, September 25th 2012, 10:57 pm

Thanks foocw~
:xiexie:

My collabs:
Spoiler: show
1. 千年
2. 陪你
3. S.N.G - Nicky Zhou
4. 孤單摩天輪 - 飛輪海
5. Brown Eyes X 戀人未滿

爱这种离谱感觉
因為你 - 蕭亞軒
郑元畅 - 忠于原味
閃亮的夢想 - 葳宣&葳安

SODAGREEN PROJECT
S.H.E PROJECT
Next to open: 小宇宙

AC's homeSoundcloudYoutubeCollabs YTFB Page

ATM Group TopicATM YT ChannelATM Fan Page
AClovetosing
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Local time: Sun, December 17th 2017, 3:13 am

Postby musicyukipi » Sat, September 29th 2012, 3:01 pm

thanks cw~haha idk why bt i tend nt to sing out when im recording (or thats jus because i record mostly lik in the mid night period /bangswall/) then the notes jus doesnt stay at that pitch for long xD will try to use ur method to practice~~woots~
keke does that means another karaoke session~xD /wiggleseyebrows/
-yuki=D
*pls b patient wif me if i haven gave you my parts!too many things on hand currently>.< tell me if u tink i forgot i'm in your collab though*
TWEET TWEET

To-Do List:
(I)Break it down
(I)Nv Sheng
(I)Bei Ji Xing De Yan Lei
(I)Update

Songs I want to Collab on (Pm me if you want to reserve any parts)
musicyukipi
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Postby shakyshakeeeee » Tue, October 9th 2012, 6:55 am

hellooo!! ^^
can i have a review for my English cover?
it's Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
http://soundcloud.com/lona1993/taylor-s ... never-ever
thanks in advance!! ^^
**NEWEST COVERS**
shakyshakeeeee
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby MelodicSkies » Thu, October 11th 2012, 8:42 am

Hi can you review this please?
Thanks!

Song: I Love You
Artist: Taeyeon

My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby foocw » Sat, October 13th 2012, 7:57 am

kaoruhyung wrote:i'll drop a cover too x))

Officially Missing You - IU (cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVZAgrR5BE
//mypronounciationishorriblexDDDDandidonthaveaproperinstrumentalsorryxDD//

btw, i don't think i've ever spoken to you before xD
nice to meet ya :P

Hello there! Nice to meet you, too! Even though our 'meeting' is purely online. Haha!

Sorry to have taken so long, Was sick one week, too busy the other. Finally got some time to slowly listen to your song. So here goes! As usual, feel free to let me know if my observations are wrong, or if I have gone too far with what I have said.

The first thing I noticed is that the transitions between notes are a little rough on the edges, in the sense that the changes in the notes are a little too 'clear-cut', a bit like pressing the different keys on a piano, so it's not as smooth as it could be. This is more noticeable in the earlier parts of the song, and in transitions between lower and mid-range notes. One way to go about smoothening out your transitions is actually to look at how IU sings it. Pay special attention to her lower jaw and head, and how they move during transitions between notes. This is one of the ways a lot of R&B and jazz singers develop the 'grooves' in their singing.

It also seems that you are using a different vocal 'position' for the lower notes. Nothing wrong with that, since that is the most efficient way of clearing lower notes, but there is a need to take into account the notes that come before and after the lower parts, and whether you will be able to switch back to your usual 'position' without compromising on pitching too heavily. This is an issue I myself face, because my own vocal range is relatively high for a guy, which means I struggle quite a bit in lower songs, since my vocal 'position' would switch rather instinctively, sometimes against my own wishes. My way of going around an issue like this was to learn to extend the lower range of my usual 'position', by regulating my breathing. My inspiration for this came from when I was playing the recorder, as I was taught to regulate my outward breaths to be gentle and constant when I was playing low notes, so that the notes would not 'crack'. I tried the same principle on myself, and it works quite OK. There are still songs that are so low that I'm forced to switch 'positions', but I'm doing that rather less frequently than I used to. Another way could be to make use of what I call the 'whisper tone', which is effectively singing as though you are whispering.

Another thing I noticed is that the position of your mic relative to yourself seems to vary, occasionally 'blowing up' your mic's range. One way around this is to use a mic stand, so that your mic doesn't move, get a foam cover for your mic to get rid of some of the 'pop' sounds when you breathe out onto your mic (does pretty much the same thing as a pop filter, but is a lot cheaper, and less of a hassle), or to regulate the movements of your head and mic, so that the distance between them remains constant. Variations in that distance is mostly to create emotional effects by playing with vocal volume. Many of the pros can regulate their volumes internally, but since we aren't pros, and rarely show people our faces anyway, it's not a strict requirement for us to be able to do that, although we can never have too many weapons in our arsenal. Haha!

I like your higher and falsetto range! And with more practice in your lower ranges, you'll be able to use your voice more efficiently, and become much more versatile. And to end on a, erm, Korean note, HWAITING! Haha!
foocw

Postby foocw » Sat, October 13th 2012, 2:22 pm

shakyshakeeeee wrote:hellooo!! ^^
thanks in advance!! ^^

Hello there! =)

As usual, everything I say here will be based on my observations. I may not be right all the time, so do feel free to point out if I have been mistaken.

Here goes!

Your voice is so cute and cheerful! Nice switch between speech and singing tones, too (the 'what?' part in the beginning is one of them). Transitions between falsetto and normal range is clean, and you've got rather good power. I also hear that you've put in quite a bit of effort in mixing it, as even the background singing is your own voice! This song is quite a good fit for you, to the point that it sounds rather effortless. Based on this alone, I can pretty much tell how much you like the song, and how much time you've spent singing it, both casually and during recordings. Such levels of effort will always win me over!

But, having said that, I am a fussy little man. However good it is, I still picked out a few small niggles. One of them is that it gives off the impression of you being very young, which, of course, you are. This, in my opinion, is because you sound a little bit too 'happy' in this song, which is supposed to carry some degree of anger. After all, although it's a fast, happy-sounding song, it's still about the complaints from a girl about her (former) boyfriend. Therefore, in an emotional sense, your cover is that little bit lacking, which also makes it that little bit 'flat'.

Another part of your singing in which I think there is room for improvement is in the use of your voice. Pitching is pretty much spot-on in most parts, but there is that slight feeling that you are a little strained on the higher non-falsetto parts, which hints that you are stretching that vocal 'position', which, in your case, sounds like the throat. Learn to make use of other 'positions', such as your head, to give your higher notes more power. Move your voice around, between your diaphragm and your head. I can't demonstrate, though, since I don't know how to use my diaphragm. The lowest 'position' I can use is my chest, and I can only make my 'head voice' come out in my absolute peak condition. After which I usually run out of energy and forget how to sing for a while, or lose my voice altogether. And since high notes is about rubbing large amounts of air against the vocal cords, do take deeper breaths. Breathe in until your chest or diaphragm fully expands, depending on which is more natural. For me, it's the chest.

Do play around with your voice more, to find out what it can and cannot do. Knowing yourself well will put you in good stead, both in singing and in life as a whole. You still have a very long time to understand yourself, but since you've already hit the ground running, then, well, keep on running! Haha!
foocw

Postby shakyshakeeeee » Sat, October 13th 2012, 3:36 pm

foocw wrote:
thanks in advance!! ^^

Hello there! =)

As usual, everything I say here will be based on my observations. I may not be right all the time, so do feel free to point out if I have been mistaken.

Here goes!

Your voice is so cute and cheerful! Nice switch between speech and singing tones, too (the 'what?' part in the beginning is one of them). Transitions between falsetto and normal range is clean, and you've got rather good power. I also hear that you've put in quite a bit of effort in mixing it, as even the background singing is your own voice! This song is quite a good fit for you, to the point that it sounds rather effortless. Based on this alone, I can pretty much tell how much you like the song, and how much time you've spent singing it, both casually and during recordings. Such levels of effort will always win me over!

But, having said that, I am a fussy little man. However good it is, I still picked out a few small niggles. One of them is that it gives off the impression of you being very young, which, of course, you are. This, in my opinion, is because you sound a little bit too 'happy' in this song, which is supposed to carry some degree of anger. After all, although it's a fast, happy-sounding song, it's still about the complaints from a girl about her (former) boyfriend. Therefore, in an emotional sense, your cover is that little bit lacking, which also makes it that little bit 'flat'.

Another part of your singing in which I think there is room for improvement is in the use of your voice. Pitching is pretty much spot-on in most parts, but there is that slight feeling that you are a little strained on the higher non-falsetto parts, which hints that you are stretching that vocal 'position', which, in your case, sounds like the throat. Learn to make use of other 'positions', such as your head, to give your higher notes more power. Move your voice around, between your diaphragm and your head. I can't demonstrate, though, since I don't know how to use my diaphragm. The lowest 'position' I can use is my chest, and I can only make my 'head voice' come out in my absolute peak condition. After which I usually run out of energy and forget how to sing for a while, or lose my voice altogether. And since high notes is about rubbing large amounts of air against the vocal cords, do take deeper breaths. Breathe in until your chest or diaphragm fully expands, depending on which is more natural. For me, it's the chest.

Do play around with your voice more, to find out what it can and cannot do. Knowing yourself well will put you in good stead, both in singing and in life as a whole. You still have a very long time to understand yourself, but since you've already hit the ground running, then, well, keep on running! Haha!

wooowww i love your review! well, i was one of the semifinalists of an online singing contest frm my country and one of the judges told me that my vocal timbre is 'too happy' for another song (it was Domino by Jessie J btw :p)
and u also said so, lol i have to control it OTL xD
hehe thankyou so much!!! i'll come again next time <3 hohohohoo~
**NEWEST COVERS**
shakyshakeeeee
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby foocw » Sat, October 13th 2012, 4:44 pm

shakyshakeeeee wrote:
foocw wrote:
thanks in advance!! ^^

Hello there! =)

Here goes!

wooowww i love your review! well, i was one of the semifinalists of an online singing contest frm my country and one of the judges told me that my vocal timbre is 'too happy' for another song (it was Domino by Jessie J btw :p)
and u also said so, lol i have to control it OTL xD
hehe thankyou so much!!! i'll come again next time <3 hohohohoo~

your happy tone is evidence of your youth! growing older will make you an even more accomplished singer, but will inevitably erode in the cheeriness in your voice, so do treasure and make full use of it while it's still here. being relatively old sometimes makes me envious of the energy and cheeriness of youth, especially for someone like me, a gloomy little man who had none of those things in his voice, even when he was younger. haha!
foocw

Postby PiggyMelody » Sun, October 14th 2012, 8:44 pm

hi!

HIATUS SINCE SEPTEMBER 20, 2015
PiggyMelody
Public Performer/ Graphics Designer/Video Designer

Postby foocw » Mon, October 15th 2012, 4:00 am

MelodicSkies wrote:Hi can you review this please?
Thanks!

Song: I Love You
Artist: Taeyeon

Hello there! =)

Oh! It's in Korean! One less thing for me to pick on, then. Haha!

Now, like I always say, what I say here is purely based on my observations, and I sometimes can go too far and assume a lot of things, which I may be wrong about. Do feel free to let me know if anything I've said wasn't quite right.

First of all, I quite like your cover! I like how you used different tones and volume levels to get your emotions across, and I truly feel them quite strongly. I also hear a sense of maturity in your voice, in a sense that you don't sound like the very young girl that you are. Which is a very good thing for emotional love songs like this.

But having said that, volume control is one of the things that can be further improved, especially when you are singing louder. I'm not asking you to get rid of you one of the most attractive things about your singing, of course, but you can try regulating the distance between your mic and yourself by moving your head backwards a little when you are about to go louder, so that it doesn't sound like you've maxed the range of your mic and software, and in turn the speakers of those listening to it, which can be a little jarring, somewhat spoiling the experience of listening to you sing.

Also, there is the slight feeling that you are a little stretched on the higher, non-falsetto parts. You can try taking deeper or sharper breaths in anticipation, but not so deep that you end up, in a sense, choking, and nothing comes out. Which I myself experienced lately when I over-anticipated, spent too much time breathing, got choked, and ended up missing words in my lines. Which can be quite a bit frustrating. Haha!

Another way to give yourself more 'room' in higher parts is to open your mouth a little bit wider, which in a way helps to smoothen out airflow.

Generally, pretty brilliantly done! It's already difficult enough to move me with a song in a language I understand, and to be able to do that with a language I don't understand is something else indeed. And you've pretty much done it! Keep it up, and keep practising!
foocw

Postby MelodicSkies » Mon, October 15th 2012, 8:10 am

Thanks so much for the detailed review! Will definitely try to follow your suggestions. In the meantime, do you mind if you critique this?

Song: Don't Say Goodbye
Artist: Davichi
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IoVTXB_FU&feature=plcp

I sang as Haeri/MelodicSkies. Please critique my parts. I sang first (if that helps).
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby foocw » Mon, October 15th 2012, 9:33 am

PiggyMelody wrote:hi!

Once again, I'm going to have to pick on your diction which, although slightly improved, still hints rather strongly of the 'lazy tongue' I had previously talked about. Of course, it's not something that can be fixed overnight, since this goes back into the fundamentals of phonetics in Mandarin, but it is definitely not impossible to fix, since I myself have gone down such a path before. The only true way of becoming able to speak a language fluently is through constant, continual learning and practice. An unorthodox but personally quite effective way of learning is actually to watch TV programmes in Mandarin, especially news programmes, in which diction is of paramount importance. Listen closely to how the words come out, and look at the subtitles to know what exact words were said, and what those words mean. I myself learned most of my languages through watching TV shows, to the point that I've started to speak like the people I watch and listen to on TV, because I had been subconsciously mimicking the way they spoke. And since I can still do that now, at an age when dramatic linguistic improvements are as good as impossible, I'm sure yours can improve by leaps and bounds. Although I'm not exactly a good benchmark for diction, since my own does seem to be rather poor. Haha!

Now to point out one thing that you have pointed out yourself: harmonies. As you would have found out, harmonies are much more difficult than they sound. Harmonies are buried beneath the main vocals, sometimes to the point that they are only barely noticeable, so being able to accurately follow the harmonies is already very difficult. Although I'm assuming that you had followed the original harmonies, I want to talk a bit about creating your own harmonies, simply because of how incredibly difficult that is, at least for me. To harmonise a song accurately, one has to be able to know and remember every single flow in the melody, so that you know where to go in at what key relative to the main vocals. Also, you need to know whether the notes for the harmonies are comfortable for you, since harmonies are meant to cover up and smoothen out probable imperfections, which means the pitching needs to be absolutely spot-on, and the tone needs to be slightly more gentle than the main vocals. A strong sense of control over your voice is thus critical for harmonising, which loses its purpose when it does not add value. Which is partly why I've never attempted to harmonise myself in my covers. The other reason is that I can't mix them properly. I'm an idiot in mixing. Haha!

As for some of the other things, refer to my previous reviews. Do try to improve on one thing at a time, so that you don't confuse yourself. I would suggest working on Mandarin diction first, since that is the most fundamentally difficult. Keep practising! Your effort will definitely bear fruit in the ears of your viewers in time to come. Jia you! =)
foocw

Postby foocw » Tue, October 16th 2012, 12:54 pm

MelodicSkies wrote:Thanks so much for the detailed review! Will definitely try to follow your suggestions. In the meantime, do you mind if you critique this?

Song: Don't Say Goodbye
Artist: Davichi
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3IoVTXB_FU&feature=plcp

I sang as Haeri/MelodicSkies. Please critique my parts. I sang first (if that helps).

Ahh...I recognised your voice almost immediately! Haha!

The technical stuff, like pitching, tempo, etc, are generally OK, as usual, so nothing much for me to talk about there. A couple of things to look at, though.

Having listened to the original song, although I don't understand the lyrics, I get the feeling that it is an uplifting song, aimed at giving hope to others. However, this feeling is not as strong in your cover version. I may be totally wrong about this, since I don't understand the lyrics, so I'm sorry if I was indeed wrong. But I wish to make a general point that strongly and clearly feeling the emotions within a song will help one sing it better. When one feels strongly about a song, its emotions, and/or the messages it is trying to send, one will then be able to transfer those emotions into one's own singing. Although I myself am not very good an example of this, since little emotion seeps out of me through my singing, even if I may have felt very strongly for the songs that I have covered. If I hadn't felt strongly for them, I wouldn't have covered them anyway. Even if, more often than not, that wasn't very obvious. Haha!

The second thing is the use of your 'throat voice'. Nothing wrong with that, of course, only that it seems that the range of the song goes into what I call the 'awkward zones' of your voice, regions that your 'throat voice' needs to stretch to reach. Those are notes that your 'throat voice' can reach, but don't sound comfortable reaching, such as the lower parts in the verses, and the higher parts in the chorus, especially in the last chorus, where I could feel that your voice was getting tired from all the flexing. I do acknowledge that it is very difficult to switch to a lower vocal 'position', because of the precise levels of control that is required. I personally find switching to a higher vocal 'position' to be easier, as I feel that, in a sense, addition is easier than subtraction. I think it's easier to feel the voice moving higher up towards the head, too, and it's easier to trigger with some of the little things I have been talking about rather frequently here. A little note, though, that the principle of rubbing large amounts of air against the vocal cords to produce higher tones still applies, so it would be good to take deeper or sharper breaths in anticipation, so that one doesn't switch 'positions', then end up with not enough air to finish the particular line that one switched 'positions' to sing, and wind up looking like this :gasp: Haha!

I like to say that I'm the least talented singer in the world. So if it took me years to somehow 'learn' what I have 'learned' (albeit without having actually learned for real), I am distinctively sure that you will need far less practice to do everything I can, and beyond. In fact, the maturity and emotion in your singing are already far stronger than mine, and at such a young age! With more practice, you can become a truly formidable singer. Give me the 'shock and awe' treatment one day! It's difficult, because I'm hard to please, as you would have noticed, but not impossible. Hwaiting! =)
foocw

Postby MelodicSkies » Wed, October 17th 2012, 3:04 am

Thanks so much for the review!
In the previous song I think it was supposed to be sad, because her lover wanted to leave her or something, so I tried to sound sad. ^^"
Thanks for the information though!

Sorry for heaping so many videos on you. But do you mind critiqueing this too?
Song: OMG (Oh My God)
Artist: TTS(TaeTiSeo)
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzZlztDu ... ture=g-u-u

I sang as Taeyeon. :)
My main cover channel:

My old channel:
MelodicSkies
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby ithanklove » Sat, October 27th 2012, 4:17 am

Please review this for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... _HdYM440Eo

Can you please PM me and tell me honestly what you think about it.
Thankyou very much.

-Natasha
ithanklove
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Sun, December 17th 2017, 3:13 pm

Postby PiggyMelody » Sun, October 28th 2012, 1:20 am

Thanks for your last review ^^

New cover :

HIATUS SINCE SEPTEMBER 20, 2015
PiggyMelody

Postby kaoruhyung » Fri, November 2nd 2012, 4:19 am

thanks for you review :)
yeah, i always have trouble with flow and transition from high notes to low notes. but i'll do my best.
i hope you dont mind me dropping a new cover. this one is in english again. ^^
Yo! Please check out my youtube channel:
SnowyWhiteMusic | kaoruhyung2 | kaoruapcvideoteam
Comment/Subscribe/Add me as a friend if you like. :)

Let's talk
>>CLICK HERE<<
~ :adores: thanks to ilovegreenthings for my awesome signature image :adores: ~
kaoruhyung

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Reviews Team