foocw - Reviewer Profile [NOT Accepting]

Need critic and advice on your covers? This is the place! ^-^

Manager: songchicky1997

Moderators: Global Moderators, Admin Assistant

foocw - Reviewer Profile [NOT Accepting]

Postby foocw » Mon, September 10th 2012, 9:36 am

► APC Username/YouTube Account: foocw

►Types of Reviews I am Accepting:
Apart from anything mixing-related, I can review practically anything, but my reviews would be more complete if what I'm reviewing are in English or Mandarin, my 2 main languages.

► Currently accepted Reviewing jobs: None for the moment.

► Maximum number Reviewing jobs accepted at any one time: I can handle 3.

►Currently accepting requests:
Too busy, so nope.

►Times of the year/months I’m OPEN to review: End of the year, maybe?

►Also relevant:
I am honest and straightforward, so don't expect me to mince my words. Although I will try to be as kind and constructive as I can. I can be very fussy, picking on all sorts of tiny, apparently insignificant stuff. I will try not to do that, unless these small things add up into something significant.
I'm not perfect. So I will try my best not to suggest to anyone anything that I myself cannot do.
I will try to respond to requests as promptly as possible.
Last edited by foocw on Sat, October 25th 2014, 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
foocw
Public Performer/Reviewer

Local time: Wed, June 28th 2017, 8:59 pm

Re: foocw - Reviewer Profile [Accepting]

Postby Agitjob » Thu, September 13th 2012, 10:31 pm

i know this is an old collab, but i'd love to improve my singing in chinese more.
Please give me some feedback ^^ Thanks
Me Blue Moley In da house
Thanks Sarah for making this cute signature for me :aww:
Trio with Josh and Ceci :hamham:

:magnify: Find, Follow, Add and Subscribe to APC
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Agitjob
Adminnie
Adminnie

Local time: Wed, June 28th 2017, 3:59 pm

Postby PiggyMelody » Thu, September 13th 2012, 10:35 pm

Please criticize ~ thank you (:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHSzg8Eaf8
skip to 1:20

HIATUS SINCE SEPTEMBER 20, 2015
PiggyMelody
Public Performer/ Graphics Designer/Video Designer

Postby foocw » Fri, September 14th 2012, 1:43 am

PiggyMelody wrote:Please criticize ~ thank you (:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHSzg8Eaf8
skip to 1:20

Some of my observations could be wrong, and feel free to let me know if I was, but these are what I had observed:

Timing is slightly off, which I don't think I can attribute to mixing, since the off-timings are a little inconsistent. One way around it would be to mentally count the beats, listen closely to cues in the music, or even tap your feet according to the beat. There was once I counted beats by slapping myself on my thigh. While performing in a school singing competition. I shall suggest against doing that! Haha!

Pitching is generally accurate, but it seems that this song has tones that vary rather too widely for you, as the chorus is a little shaky, especially when transitioning between lower and higher notes. Words like the ‘点’ in '我很想為了你快樂一點'. Also, although you cleared the high notes accurately, your voice was stretched a little thin at the highest parts. These can be partly fixed through regulating breathing, taking a deeper breath to give yourself more room to handle any such transitions. You can also 'cheat' by sneaking a few breaths in between words, if there's enough time. Which I myself do. Hahah!

Anyway, high notes generally require large amounts of air pushing against your vocal cord quite rapidly, while low notes generally require gentle, modulated release of air. Try preparing for each line by anticipating how much air you need, and how you should release it. I suppose you already know one way of pushing high notes, which is closing your eyes, since I saw you do that in your video. Haha! Another way could be the exact opposite, raising your eyebrows instead. Also, although people may find this action a bit ugly to do, but it helps to sing with your mouth opened wider. I sometimes even use my hands to give me some extra force in pushing upwards, but that's usually for extreme cases. No need to go there yet. Hahah!

I heard a few hints that although this is a song you like a lot, it is not one that you sing very often. You can try doing a couple of dry-runs before going into actual recording, if you don't already do so, to get yourself familiarised with the flows and transitions in the song, and help you prepare for the real recording. Personally, since I don't take videos of myself (so that I do not scare any of my viewers. Haha!), I'd usually learn a song by singing it whenever and wherever I can to know how it all goes, before I get down to recording, which I usually also spend a bit of time doing, to try to fix as many issues (none of my covers were done perfectly in one take, partly because I myself am not perfect. Haha!) as I can.

You have a sweet voice! Keep practising and learning (doesn't matter whether or not you try my recommendations), and you'll grow to become a wonderful singer. You're still very, very young, too, so you have TONS of room to grow. Gambatte!
foocw

Postby foocw » Fri, September 14th 2012, 2:14 am

Agitjob wrote:i know this is an old collab, but i'd love to improve my singing in chinese more.
Please give me some feedback ^^ Thanks

First of all, this is one of my favourite duets, because of how much it looks like a guy-guy duet. Haha!

There's almost nothing for me to pick on with regards to timing. Pretty much in sync and on timing all the way through.

Pitching is pretty much spot-on, too. If there are any bones to pick, one of which would be the same issue that I myself have, which is that our tones are a little too consistent, making both of us a bit 'flat', not in a pitching sense, but the use of volume in expressing yourself. This also makes us relatively 'cold'. I myself am still trying to find ways around that, so I don't dare to offer you any suggestions on this for the time being.

Another very slight issue I spotted is that your style of singing is a bit 'stiff', singing every note as they are. You can create a more 'groovy', bluesy tone by blending the notes up a little, letting the song flow a little more coherently. One way which I try to add 'groove' is to vary how much I open my mouth, opening it up a bit more when I'm supposed to go a bit higher, closing it slightly more when I need to be a bit lower. Can also try moving your head according to the tune. I myself played with all this to learn transitions for more R&B-ish songs.

Your voice and pitching are beautiful. You're really quite good already! All my suggestions are for very, very tiny things which I think will take you to an even higher level in singing pretty much anything that can be classified as pop.

In fact, after hearing this, I'm tempted to cover this with you, if you don't mind doing it again! Which could well alter the 'flavour' of it completely, with my 'unmanly' voice thrown into the mix. Hahah!
foocw

Postby Agitjob » Fri, September 14th 2012, 9:40 pm

thanks chuan wei for the suggestions :happy: yeah i agree with you that im struggling sometimes when covering some certain songs that i sound 'flat'. I can sing emotionally in some songs and totally unemotionally in some others xD Your tips of making the 'groove' are interesting, i'll try it in some later songs, when i feel myself flat.

And sure, if you wanna duet this with me, i'd love to :aww: just nudge.
:xiexie:
Me Blue Moley In da house
Thanks Sarah for making this cute signature for me :aww:
Trio with Josh and Ceci :hamham:

:magnify: Find, Follow, Add and Subscribe to APC
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Agitjob
Adminnie
Adminnie

Local time: Wed, June 28th 2017, 3:59 pm

Postby foocw » Sat, September 15th 2012, 3:58 am

you will? yay! i can finally cover this song!

i VERY likely won't be as good as your 'original' partner, since my voice is as cold as it can possibly get. A freezer is probably warmer. haha!
foocw

Postby xinlidege » Sat, September 15th 2012, 10:42 am

chuanwei, i came to give you business :smart: haha

this is a song you suggested me to do. definitely a hard song, and not a cover i'm proud of.

would appreciate if you do a long review on this topic and a condensed one on my vid (if you wish to post anything on my vid lol)

汪蘇瀧 Silence Wang & By2 - 有點甜 You Dian Tian [翻唱 Duet Cover w/ foocw]
xinlidege
Public Performer
Public Performer

Local time: Wed, June 28th 2017, 1:59 pm

Postby foocw » Sat, September 15th 2012, 12:56 pm

xinlidege wrote:chuanwei, i came to give you business :smart: haha

this is a song you suggested me to do. definitely a hard song, and not a cover i'm proud of.

would appreciate if you do a long review on this topic and a condensed one on my vid (if you wish to post anything on my vid lol)

All right, my honest observations, which may not actually be correct:

My first question: Is this really you??? This sounds NOTHING like the voice I'm used to hearing! Not saying it's bad, just different.

It sounds like I have 'given' you a song that is that is almost entirely in your higher range, and I can hear how uncomfortable you were, going flat in a few of the higher parts of the song. The lower parts were beautiful, but I sense you trying all sorts of ways to make yourself clear the higher parts, stretching and straining your vocal cords in parts that are supposed to be more mellow, then pushing more air past it at parts that you can use more power, and have more room to breathe. It sounded like hard work! Haha!

In my opinion, it was such hard work because you had tried to finish a song that is almost entirely in your higher range using nothing but your throat and sometimes your nose, probably without yourself knowing. Dare to tap into the other 'regions' that you can use, instead of purely forcing as much air against the vocal cord as possible, since we can only breathe in that much air anyway.

A few ways I have tried to 'unlock' other 'parts' that I can use: close and squeeze your eyes a bit, the exact opposite (lift your eyebrows), open your mouth wider, or even use your fingers, Mariah Carey-style. And dare to make full use of your falsetto range! When fighting a strong enemy, bring along all the weapons you have. The original singer not using something doesn't mean that you can't either. Dare to 'cheat'. Which I do a lot of. Haha!

You have a very pleasing and warm lower register. Add more weapons into your arsenal, and you will become a formidable singer. You may even develop a vocal range that is wider than mine!
foocw

Postby xinlidege » Sat, September 15th 2012, 2:18 pm

foocw wrote:All right, my honest observations, which may not actually be correct:

My first question: Is this really you??? This sounds NOTHING like the voice I'm used to hearing! Not saying it's bad, just different.

It sounds like I have 'given' you a song that is that is almost entirely in your higher range, and I can hear how uncomfortable you were, going flat in a few of the higher parts of the song. The lower parts were beautiful, but I sense you trying all sorts of ways to make yourself clear the higher parts, stretching and straining your vocal cords in parts that are supposed to be more mellow, then pushing more air past it at parts that you can use more power, and have more room to breathe. It sounded like hard work! Haha!

In my opinion, it was such hard work because you had tried to finish a song that is almost entirely in your higher range using nothing but your throat and sometimes your nose, probably without yourself knowing. Dare to tap into the other 'regions' that you can use, instead of purely forcing as much air against the vocal cord as possible, since we can only breathe in that much air anyway.

A few ways I have tried to 'unlock' other 'parts' that I can use: close and squeeze your eyes a bit, the exact opposite (lift your eyebrows), open your mouth wider, or even use your fingers, Mariah Carey-style. And dare to make full use of your falsetto range! When fighting a strong enemy, bring along all the weapons you have. The original singer not using something doesn't mean that you can't either. Dare to 'cheat'. Which I do a lot of. Haha!

You have a very pleasing and warm lower register. Add more weapons into your arsenal, and you will become a formidable singer. You may even develop a vocal range that is wider than mine!

haha yes it is me, chuanwei. i cant sing every song the same way so whatever works with the song is how i'll approach it i guess, which should be how it is i think.

yeah i struggled alot with the high notes. the lower notes were fun to sing ^^

thanks for the review and techniques :hamangel:

xinlidege
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby foocw » Sat, September 15th 2012, 3:16 pm

ready for more 'challenges' from me? wahahah!
foocw

Postby xinlidege » Sat, September 15th 2012, 3:22 pm

foocw wrote:ready for more 'challenges' from me? wahahah!

haha sure. but i wish it's more about skill rather than range this time :X

xinlidege
Public Performer
Public Performer

Postby PiggyMelody » Sun, September 16th 2012, 7:35 pm

Thank you for your last critique~
& here is my latest cover ^^

PiggyMelody

Postby foocw » Thu, September 20th 2012, 2:00 pm

PiggyMelody wrote:

Thank you for your last critique~
& here is my latest cover ^^

I quite like it, actually. Really! A gentle, soothing song which places greater emphasis on emotion over technical skill, which your warm voice carries quite well. Though it does give off a bit of an impression that you are probably a bit too young for something so deeply emotional, as such deep emotions usually come from personal experience. One cannot clearly express an emotion that one has never really felt before, and one needs to go through certain things to trigger certain emotions before one actually feels those emotions.

Which is almost exactly why all my own covers sound rather deadpan, because it seems that this 'chain reaction' within me is broken at some point, and I don't really feel anything. Which makes me rather incomplete as a human, since I can barely feel any emotion. Haha! But that seems to be subtly changing, and the broken chain seems to be starting to reconnect itself. Hopefully I'll be able to sing with emotion one day. Haha!

Another slight issue I have noticed is with your diction. Many of your 'zh', 'ch', 'sh' tones are off. For examples, '站' (zhan), '遠處' (yuan chu), '祝福' (zhu fu), '尋找' (xun zhao) and '追逐' (zhui zhu). All these words require a slight curl of the tongue, the same way you pronounced '當你孤單時' (dang ni gu dan shi), which was correct. But no worries, this is a very common minor error (I call it the 'lazy tongue. Haha!) which is very easily fixed. All you need to do is to speak and write in Mandarin more frequently than you currently are.

Pitching-wise, generally pretty ok, only slight inconsistencies, especially in the lower parts, most of which were slightly flat.Try breathing in deeper into your lungs (or chest, whichever is more comfortable), and letting the air out slowly and gently throughout a line of low notes. This should help stabilise your lower notes.

Although people say mimicry is the highest form of praise, there is no hard and fast way to sing any song. The way the original sings a song is not the only way that it should be sung, as each and every one of us is distinct and different, and thus we do not have to do exactly what the original does. Dare to sing your way, using all the skills you have. Dare to use falsetto and other vocal positions, even if the original doesn't sound like he or she is using them. Dare to be yourself, develop your own style of singing, and express yourself through the songs you sing. This will add many more layers and dimensions to your singing. Jia you!!

p.s. May I ask if you are listening to the original track (with original vocals) through your earphones?
foocw

Postby PiggyMelody » Thu, September 20th 2012, 4:50 pm

Thank you!
^-^

& yes i am, i can't sing without the vocals LOL x:

PiggyMelody

Postby foocw » Fri, September 21st 2012, 4:55 am

No wonder. It's pretty much human nature for us to want to follow whatever we are listening to. At least that applies very much to me, as I tend to sing differently when I'm listening to different singers. I even talk differently when I watch different shows! I talk like a Taiwanese when I watch Taiwan talkshows, and talk like a Brit when I watch British TV shows.

It does take quite a bit of effort to learn a song to the point that one can sing it from the first word to the last, but I can tell you that it's worth the effort. If there's a song you want to cover, sing it whenever and wherever you can, and I'm dead sure you will know every single bit about it. Then you can ditch the earphones, and just be yourself! Haha!
foocw

Postby musicyukipi » Sat, September 22nd 2012, 2:32 pm

i came to give you business too xDD

here's a song i did lik 5months ago HAHAHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5VQYdQ ... E238AA2B46

lalalalala~
wanted to give u my newer cover but its korean xD /imafraidyouwillignoremehahahahaha/ :loostick:
-yuki=D
*pls b patient wif me if i haven gave you my parts!too many things on hand currently>.< tell me if u tink i forgot i'm in your collab though*
TWEET TWEET

To-Do List:
(I)Break it down
(I)Nv Sheng
(I)Bei Ji Xing De Yan Lei
(I)Update

Songs I want to Collab on (Pm me if you want to reserve any parts)
musicyukipi
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Local time: Thu, June 29th 2017, 4:59 am

Postby foocw » Sat, September 22nd 2012, 2:45 pm

musicyukipi wrote:i came to give you business too xDD

here's a song i did lik 5months ago HAHAHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB5VQYdQ ... E238AA2B46

lalalalala~
wanted to give u my newer cover but its korean xD /imafraidyouwillignoremehahahahaha/ :loostick:
-yuki=D

korean...one less thing i can pick on, then, since i can't possibly talk about diction when i don't even understand the language. haha!

but i shall remain as impartial and forthright as i can for everything else. and so you have been warned muahaha!

stay tuned for my full review, which i will do very soon!
foocw

Postby musicyukipi » Sat, September 22nd 2012, 3:08 pm

u are making me scared now xD
-yuki=D
*pls b patient wif me if i haven gave you my parts!too many things on hand currently>.< tell me if u tink i forgot i'm in your collab though*
TWEET TWEET

To-Do List:
(I)Break it down
(I)Nv Sheng
(I)Bei Ji Xing De Yan Lei
(I)Update

Songs I want to Collab on (Pm me if you want to reserve any parts)
musicyukipi
Local Moderator
Local Moderator

Local time: Thu, June 29th 2017, 4:59 am

Postby AClovetosing » Mon, September 24th 2012, 12:51 am

Coming with some business to foocw too xD
New cover..
Semi-hiatus mode since 28/08/2015.

My collabs:
Spoiler: show
1. 千年